The first high-grade gold was staked on Yellowknife Bay in September 1934 by C.J. "Johnny" Baker and Hugh Muir on the east shore near Burwash Point. The Burwash Mine only operated during the winter of 1935/1936 when they failed to find more gold.
In this issue: New Logo - Society Launch - Long John Jamboree Photo Booth - Museum Project Renovations» more
The Yellowknife Historical Society recently installed solar panels at its mining and geological museum project located at the old Giant Mine site in Yellowknife.» more
It has been a period of transition for the Society as we re-brand our project and activities to reflect a broader goal of celebrating and exhibiting Yellowknife history.» more